How did it go?
I feel I have a bit of a pattern now! Each month I try to cycle between something new (not on the list), something old (i.e. on the list), and something for book group.
I read two books from the Book End list this month – Pine by Francine Toon, a slow burning thriller about a missing woman set in the Highlands, and The Power by Naomi Alderman, which I enjoyed so much more than I anticipated. It follows several characters navigating through a world where women gain the power to give me electric shocks, and the societal upheval this causes.
Another book I read and really enjoyed was The Mercies by Kiran Millwood Hargrave – I could have stayed in that world forever! The ending wasn’t quite what I wanted, but it was a great atmospheric story about 1600s Norway and Orkney, female-led community and the devastating power of sexism.
What I read in July 2021
- Mexican Gothic, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (not on the list, gifted)
- Pine, Francine Toon (on the list)
- Girls of Riyadh, Rajaa al-Sanea (not on the list, book group)
- The Power, Naomi Alderman (on the list)
- My Lesbian Experience of Loneliness, Nagata Kabi (not on the list, book group)
- The Mercies, Kiran Millwood Hargrave (not on the list)
Total ticked off the list: 21
Total still to go: 74
Full list here.
However… I also gained the following books in July 2021…
The Mercies, Kiran Millwood Hargrave
- Wild Swans, Jung Chang (bought)
My Lesbian Experience of Loneliness, Nagata Kabi
- Fragile Monsters, Catherine Menon (gift)
- The Dictionary of Lost Words, Pip Williams (gift)
- China Room, Sunjeev Sahota (gift)
- Medusa’s Ankles, A. S. Byatt (gift)
I’m currently reading Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (on the list!) and loving it just as much as I expected to. I will also be reading Eva Baltasar’s Permafrost for Lighthouse Book’s Women in Translation book group, which I will actually be facilitating! Join us if you fancy it.
As a fun aside, I have also been loving 404 Ink’s Inkling series, and started off with Love That Journey For Me: The Queer Revolution of Schitt’s Creek by Emily Garside. Although, I need to finish the series first as I am super spoiler avoidant!